If you start a new project (or you want to make your first steps with Cake), the following question arises: “Which version of CakePHP should I use?”. For me, the answer is simple: 1.2. For others it may be 1.1. To help you with the decision, I prepared some pro/con arguments for both versions:
- documentation is available in the form of the manual and tutorials
- no new features, only bug fixes
- migration effort needed to move to 1.2 at a later time
- many new features
- the future of Cake
- (almost) no documentation
- “only” an alpha release, which means things can still change a bit, and that some features may be not finished yet
I hope that helps you in your decision process.
Thanks to Dieter@be for the idea for this post.